Monday, November 26, 2007

Hey!! I am back safe and sound from Italy!! I had such a great time! We got to Venice on Thursday around 2, but by the time we checked into our hotel and got to downtown it was dark and rainy. I caught a couple good pictures before the sunset, but really didn't have the chance to see the city in all its beauty. By the time we found St. Marks square from twisting through the narrow ally ways, St. Mark's cathedral was closed and the pigeons that I was suppose to take a picture with were gone. We stopped at a really cute pizza place for Thanksgiving dinner. It sure was not the same as being at home. I was missing the hash brown casserole. After dinner, we decided to take a water bus back to our hotel. When I went to grab for my wallet after the nice ride, I realized it was no longer there. Staying as calm as I could, we decided to take the bus back 30 minutes to the restaurant and see if I had left it there. Of course they had not seen it, so we came to the conclusion that it must have been stolen while I was taking pictures on the boat. It was pretty much awful considering I was so far from both Vienna and home. That night I couldn't sleep at all, luckily the next day mom and dad were able to get money transferred to me. The next morning, we arose at 6 to catch a 7:30 am train to Rome. Not fun at all. The train took over 5 hours, but it was a great time to catch up on the loss of sleep the night before. It was so warm and beautiful when we got to Rome!! We checked into Independence Inn and set out for a long day of sight seeing. We did pretty good, seeing the Pantheon, the Colosseum at night, a bunch of beautiful churches, and so much more. We had a great dinner consisting of spaghetti and Italian wine, then went for some good ol' gelato. Saturday morning we woke up bright and early and headed to the Vatican to wait in line. We thought it opened at 9 but it ended up opening at 10, so we pretty much stood in line for 2 1/2 hours. But it was def. worth it. When we came out at 11 it was over a mile and a half long. The Vatican was AMAZING!! Seeing the Sistine Chapel was breath taking. I could have stayed their for hours taking it all in. I also really liked the modern Christian art as well as all the detail that was put into every room in the Vatican. It was beautiful. After the Vatican we headed to St. Peter's, and boy did we luck out. The Pope just happened to be giving mass, so we ate lunch and watched on the big jumbo screens. He came out at the end to give a speech to the public, so I have a couple pictures with a little white dot in the background (which is him). We got in line to go into the church, but it started to pour and lightning so bad, so I ended up stepping out of line and giving up my spot in the mile long line. There was no way I was going to put myself out there in those conditions considering the horrible lightning. So while my friends were admiring St. Peter's, I was able to sort out credit/debit card issues which was a relief. Dad, I want to apologize. When I called you I forgot it was Saturday and 6:30 am your time. Ooops! Just wanted to let you know that everything was ok and that I love you. After St. Peters we went to a castle where we walked to the top and was able to see all of Rome. It was magnificent!! We headed to another church at that time and then back to the Colosseum area and Palentine hill. We ate dinner at a really cute place. I had the best lasagna and ended up meeting some really nice Americans that sat right next to us. After dinner we grabbed some gelato and headed to the Spanish steps to enjoy and people watch. I was surprised with how much English I heard, I figured that it was off season, but I guess I was mistaken. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice change from German. Sunday morning, we again woke up at 7 am. By this time I was pretty much exhausted. We headed to the Colosseum for breakfast and a tour. Before we left to catch our plane, we stopped by Palintine hill to check out the Roman ruins for the last time and take some last minute photos of beautiful Rome. The flight home went smoothly. I got home safe and sound which was a relief. I was so wiped out, but am glad because I felt I did everything I could in Rome, leaving in my mom's words "no stone left unturned." I did Rome. However, I really look forward to going back and spending more time at the various places instead of cramming every detail in. I also want to go back to Venice, cause at the moment I have a bad taste in my mouth. I sure hope that the person who took it really needed it, cause it sure has been a pain. I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!! Just want ya'll to know that I am very thankful for each one of you and appreciate all of you keeping up with me!! Only 4 more weeks and I'm home!! Love you!!!

No comments: