Monday, November 19, 2007

First off I would like to say that Dublin was my absolute favorite place so far. I don't know if it was because I could understand everything they were saying, or the people I was with, or the fact that it is such a fun college town. On Friday, we arrived at the Bratislava Airport after a long day of misunderstanding and back aches. It was only suppose to take an hour and a half to get their, but ended up taking 3. I am so glad we left when we did. However, 2 of my friends weren't as lucky. They ended up getting to the airport, 10 minutes after the plane departed. It was so sad to have to leave them behind especially after how long it took to get there. When we arrived in Dublin we headed to our Hostel by taking a double Decker bus. The whole time we were all so excited and amused by the Irish accents swirling around us. The hostel was descent compared to the one I stayed in Prague plus it was mostly just my friends staying in it. We ate dinner at an Irish restaurant in Temple Bar. I had a portabella and top sirloin boxey wrapped in a pancake with a Guinness beer. It was quite delicious. After dinner we met Jake's friend who was studying in Dublin and went to a bar. That night we ended up staying out till 4 am. Mom and Dad you would be proud :) I don't ever stay out past midnight so this was a huge accomplishment. "When in Dublin... do as the Irish do...drink." That was our slogan the entire weekend. We had a great time meeting Irish people and enjoying the college atmosphere that Vienna is lacking. Vienna is a place of culture with museums, operas, and wine taverns. Dublin was again a college town with fun restaurants, cool and trendy stores, and a whole district of clubs and bars. Saturday morning we awoke bright and early at 8:30 am to explore. Marie and I set out on our own and had a great day. We started at Trinity College. I loved the campus so much. I really want to try to take a class there in the summer or something. We saw the Book of Kells which is the bible written in Celtic beauty and design. After admiring and wishing we went to school there we headed to Dublin castle, Jameson whisky distillery, and the Guinness factory. I had a blast at the Guinness factory. It was a really good and interactive representation of how they brew the beer. Once we got through the 7 floors we got a fresh, free glass of Guinness :) yummy. For lunch we went to Eddie Rockets, which is exactly like Johnny Rockets and had good burgers and onion rings, and dinner we ate at Quiznos. It was pretty exciting. A little taste of home. That evening Marie and I searched Dublin up and down for a store called "Morgan" for my sister. We finally found it but as soon as I walked in they said they were closed. I was so upset...but morg please know we tried :) After we went to a couple bars and again hit the 4 am mark. It was a blast. Sunday morning we had to be at the airport at 11. The flight took 3 hours and then we had to catch a train back to Vienna from Bratislava. We ended up getting back to our apartment around 10:30 pm. I must say I could barely move from carrying my heavy back pack and purse. This morning I was so tired that I slept through my alarm and ended up waking up at noon. I couldn't believe it, but I don't think I would have been able to stay awake in class if I had gone anyways. I went to Art and Arch. then had coffee with Marie. I was planning to go work out, but ended up going to a store my mom had recommended. It was absolutely amazing with food from all over the world. I decided to get some freshly made ravioli stuffed with spinach, ham, and mushrooms. And actually just took my last bite of it as I write this. It was Delicious. So, I had a pretty good weekend. I CAN NOT wait to be back in Ireland. I heard Dublin isn't anything compared to the rest of Ireland..so I really can't wait. Well, love you all!!

No comments: