Saturday, September 1, 2007

A night on the town....

So, yesterday was Friday. I had my first German test which was harder than I expected. Learning a new language is extremely difficult for me! After the long test, I wondered around downtown gorgeous Vienna with my roommates until we were to exhausted to walk any longer. Then we headed on to the U-bahn (underground train) for our hour long ride home. That evening we all got dressed up and were ready to hit the town. Then one of us had the bright idea of trying to go to our friend's house in a district we had never been. We all thought this would be a great idea, but unfortunately we got miserably lost, and ended up in a whole different territory than desired. Not to mention all four of us were in short sleeves and high heels, and it was 60 degrees F outside. Two hours later we decided to give up and make our way to the center of town. Luckily, we were able to meet up with a large majority of our friends who were also walking around town. We sat outside in the cold for an hour trying to decide where to go. Finally after a long debate we ended up at a British bar at 1:30 am. Did I mention we left at 8:00 pm??? By 1:30 our feet were practically bleeding and we were def. not in a good mood. So, we went to the bar and got a pitcher of bier and really really tried to laugh off the situation (which was very hard). Then we realized it was 2:30 am, and the u-bahn stations all closed at 12:30 pm. So, we asked everyone we saw what the best way home would be. We ended up running to a shuttle that was able to take us to our apt, which was extremely lucky. To say the least we had an adventure for our first time out at night in Vienna. One thing I can say is that we learned the train system quickly.

This morning we woke up around 8:30 am and headed to down town for a delicious breakfast at a quaint cafe. I had ham and eggs and the best cappuccino. You seriously can not beat coffee in Vienna. It is practically the best ever. At 12:00pm we met the rest of our study abroad group at the Opera to get on a shuttle bus for a 3 hour tour around the town. It was such a great experience. The art history teacher was the tour guide. She did an excellent job of narrating. Anyone that can keep your attention for 3 hours is amazing. We were able to see all the fun, historical, and unique spots of Vienna. I cant wait to actually walk around the places that were pointed out. Vienna is such an amazing city, full of culture and adventure. I am so grateful to be here. After we got off the tour we went shopping. I got a really cute pair of loafer type shoes. They are really comfortable and were reasonably priced considering the area I live in. By the time we got home, we were all were exhausted. So, I made tortellini and sun dried pesto sauce for everyone. I must say I have become quite the pasta chef. It is so easy, delicious and cheap. Last night we had pasta with chanterell mushrooms, the night before pasta with capers and tomatoes. Pasta, pasta, pasta :) Oh well, we will eat it till we get tired of it and then someone else is in charge of cooking. Tonight, we are going to a winery that is in our district. It should be fun. Well, I hope everyone has a wonderful day. Miss you all very much.

No comments: